Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Great First Day

I started my day at 4:30 AM, getting ready for school and packing lunches. By 5:30 Sydney was wide awake. I told her she still had time to sleep. She was too excited to go back to bed. Last year I picked out the girls outfits every day. This year, I let them pick their own clothes. This is not what I would have chosen for them to wear for the first day, but grown up girls can be so hard headed! Alex was so excited to go to school. On the way home she said she stayed warm because her hair was so short! By the end of the day Alex's hair clip was gone, bangs in her eyes, and glasses all smudged but she came home happy so that's all that matters.
Sydney picked her clothes and her hair do. Not what Mommy wanted but she has become very opinionated and very independent this summer. Despite her begging and pleading, the minute I had to say goodbye I was a big boob. I still had to drop Alex off at her class! I'm not sure why but it was a little bit easier to drop off Alex compared to Sydney. I'm not sure if it is because I know Alex's teacher very well and I know how her classroom is ran, or if it's because Alex has so much confidence in herself that it makes me worry a little less.
As you can see, hair clip in, meeting new friends, looking a little scared but being very brave. These two kids by Alex happen to be in our ward so I think that was a major plus for being such a big brave girl on the first day of school. I think it also helps that we volunteered every day in Sydney's Kindergarten class when she had the same teacher!
End of the day, a very tired group of kids looking forward to going home, hair messed up, clothes not so crisp anymore, and starving because lunch was hours ago. I have to say the teacher even looked a bit relieved when the bell rang. I don't like this part of school. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night. All the first day worries and concerns running through my head. We survived, and we're looking forward to getting up early in the morning and doing it all over again tomorrow! (Mommy barely survived and is NOT looking forward to it again!) Knowing that it gets better and better every day is the only thing that gets me out of bed!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis I wrote a big reply and took it away again. So im MAD. The girls looked very cute. You might want to call Will and set something up for tomarrow night.Let me know.See ya love MOM