Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cutting costs

It's really sad to think that our children are going to have to struggle for years to come just because money hungry executives have been in charge for too long. I think half these executives should go back to school and learn economics 101 and finance 102! I am glad that I was taught how to save money, how to live within our means, and how to make wise financial decisions. Money is big news now a days. From the stimulus package, job losses, and housing, to education, health care, and the car industry. Our country is in sad shape when it comes to hard earned cash. Well budget cuts have finally reached the schools. Just the other day at the school board meeting, our school officials voted for a four day work week starting next year. Without any discussion from the public it was passed. Supposedly shutting down school, not running buses, having longer classes not to mention larger class sizes, we will be saving a fortune. I have to ask the obvious. At what cost to the kids? My kids will now be in school from 8:00Am to 3:30Pm, and if I work next year they will be spending an extra hour after school each day. Not getting home until 4:30Pm doesn't sound too great to me. There are pros and cons galore to this problem. I just hope those in charge of making the BIG decisions have my kids best interest at heart. I am excited about having every Friday off and getting another whole day to spend with my kids. What about those kids whose parents HAVE to work? What about those kids whose main source of food comes from breakfast and lunch served at school? I'm a little worried and excited at the same time. I think what ever happens will hopefully benefit all kids.

I am a selfish mom, I admit it! I love my kids! I love having them home, doing things with them, I even love getting down on the floor and playing with them. Why do you think I started working at the school?? I couldn't share. So, I for one am very excited to have another day off to spend with the kids!! Yes, it's going to mean longer days, more instruction time, and tired and cranky kids. I'm just hoping the good will out weigh the bad and it will all be worth it come Friday. I also feel very sorry for those parents that HAVE to work just to make ends meet and can't spend time with their kids. I hope our economy gets better soon. The longer our economy suffers the more our future will suffer. I say leave education alone and make cuts from some place else. These kids today are going to be running our country tomorrow. They need all the help they can get to learn from our mistakes.



1 comment:

Bev said...

Good post....love your commentary from a personal point of view cuz I have not idea the price that will be paid by the kids. Love the pic of the school bus!! Where did you find such a cute graphic? Please tell!! Oh yeah, thanks to your cute girls for my cute Valentine! Love it! too funny!