Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Be Prepared...... for anything!

I saw this on a friends blog and I just had to share it with everyone! What a great idea. In this day and age when everything seems to be going down the tubes it's comforting to know that our church leaders are called of god. It's nice to know that Heavenly Father wants us to be prepared for the future, come what may. Food storage is a must, being as debt free as possible is a must, tithing a must, and following our prophets council is a must. I for one have been working on getting food storage, 72 hour kits, and other survivals things my family may need in an emergency. I thought this clothes washing bucket fit right in! Be prepared....... it can't hurt! This would make a great homemaking activity, a gift to someone, or a family home evening activity. It's so easy and it may come in very handy some day. Thanks Susan for posting it!


Clothes Washing Kit:
A way to do your laundry in an emergency. You can easily put this together yourself.
CLOTHES WASHING KIT:
  • 5-gallon bucket with lid (cut hole in middle of lid for plunger handle to fit through)
  • Toilet plunger (brand-new, clean)Store in bucket
  • Liquid laundry detergent
  • Stain remover/stain stick
  • Vinegar (add 1/2 cup to rinse water) helps remove soap
  • Rope (for clothes line)
  • Clothes pins

To Use:Empty contents of bucket.Place water, small amount of detergent, and clothes in bucket.Move plunger up and down for a few minutes or until clothes are clean.Remove soapy clothes and ring them out.Dump out soapy water (on your garden or lawn.)Place soapy clothes in bucket and fill with clear, clean water.Add 1/2 cup vinegar to rinse water.Move plunger up and down to rinse clothing.Wring out clothes and hang to dry.Conserve water - use rinse water for next load of laundry.

NOTE: You could store two 5-gallon buckets, stack one inside of the other. Use one bucket for the soapy water and the other for the rinse water. You may be able to wash and rinse a couple of batches of clothes without changing the soapy water depending on how dirty the clothes are.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's an awesome idea! I'm totally stealing it!! :)

kaypalmer4 said...

Love this idea! I'm going to make one. :)

Bev said...

Great idea....I'm going to blog it too, maybe we all can get the word out.

Amie said...

Amen! To the chocolates on V day instead of flowers! Who needs flowers anyway!!! Hope you're enjoying your chocolates...if I was anywhere near you I'd come over and we'd watch a girly movie and I'd steal some! I miss you Roxanne! The four day a week school thing is weird! I've never heard of such a thing. Is this just in Bisbee, or is this like an Arizona thing? And also thanks for the great "washing machine alternative". I'll have to get all the supplies for that.
P.S. Don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but I LOVE all the books on your bookshelf. I've read the Twilight series three times now! I think we need to have some Twilight chat some time! Did you like the movie? Some hated it, but I LOVED IT. I actually hadn't read the books until after I saw the movie. Maybe that makes a difference, I had nothing to compare it to. I will say that I saw the movie 5 times in the theatre! I know, pathetic. But hey, if a friend calls me up and wants to go out...I'm not going to pass that up! :)
P.S. again...I LOVE your blog look! How did you do it?