Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Reading Program week 2

Today was insect day! The kids were so excited. Most of the insects that they saw today were alive. The bugs ranged from baby stink beetles all the way to Tarantulas. It was great fun! A few of the kids in the program even got to hold the tarantula. My girls said no way to holding it, but they did pet it. The presenter even put a piece of paper against the tarantula and it's fangs came out and latched on to it. It was really cool to see, the fangs looked like cat claws.
They had all different kinds of bugs. This scorpion was so cool, you could see him really well. A few of the little girls were afraid of the really creepy looking ones, but for the most part the kids loved it! The presenter was so engaging on the kids level. He was a riot, he joked a lot about eating the bugs.
Wednesday's are Sydney and Alex's favorite day of the week. Sydney marks the days on her calendar just so she knows exactly when it is library day. I asked the girls what their favorite part of the bug presentation was. Alex liked the big tarantula the most. She says it was really soft. Sydney liked the scorpion the best. The presenter brought it around in the dark with a UV light and it was glowing. She thought that was super cool.


Next week they are going to have a dance presentation. The girls are already picking out what they're going to wear to it! Stay tuned for more!

2 comments:

Amie said...

Who knew the library could be so much fun! I love to see bugs too, just not loose in my house... :) The girls look so happy, way to go mom! I can't wait for the dancing pictures!

Linda said...

What a cool library you have!! I wish we had a library around here that did that. Yes, make sure you get some dance pictures!! I really love that you blog now! I can keep up on your fun lives and get to know you better through your writing. You are such a neat person, Roxanne!! I wish I were more like you in so many ways.