Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years!

This year for New Years we had plans to spend the evening with my parents and Grandpa Stanley. At the last minute Grandpa decided not to come, so keeping in tradition everyone came to our house instead. I say everyone but Uncle Will couldn't make it so it was just Nana and Papa. We had tons of food! My Dad. I have no idea why he comes to parties. He's the life of the party if you couldn't tell. Every year it's the same story. We're all partying and he's sleeping. At one point during the evening he did wake up and come in the kitchen for a snack. At that time we were playing The Logo Game (thanks Aunt Debbie!) and my Dad walks in and answers the question correctly like he'd been playing with us the whole time. (the question was what is the name of the Borden Cow? I don't know if I spelled that name brand right but the correct answer was Elsie. None of us knew it but Dad) He grabbed a snack and went back to sleep. What??
We played lots of fun games, snacked and counted down the hours till we could celebrate the New Year!

My Mom was ready to party!

After games, it was getting close to Midnight so we broke out the fireworks and started lighting them off. Talk about fun! Clay climbed up and got in the attic and got our BIG fireworks down. They'd been in the attic for years. After a bottle rocket went off and landed in my hair one year on the Fourth of July at my parents house, we hadn't done BIG fireworks since. I was feeling brave. We had so much fun! I even lit a few. Many of our neighbors had fireworks as well. The neighbor across the street who usually fires off a couple rounds from his shotgun, got in the spirit of things this year and had a very cool fireworks display.

Last year it was freezing cold, windy, and rainy. This year the weather was perfect. We only needed a sweatshirt and we were good to go. Dad woke up just in time to watch the big ball drop, we blew our noise makers, and rang in the New Year with style. Do we know how to throw a party or what.Shortly after that we cleaned up and everyone hopped in the car and headed to Benson!

Last year my New Years Resolution was to lose weight and eat healthier. I decided to give up two of my very favorite things for a whole year. Soda and Ice cream. It was hard in the beginning but so worth it in the end. I did have soda once through the whole year. The little girl next door helped Sydney with her science fair project so I felt obligated to help her with hers. It was different colored Sprite. I had to drink it, it was warm and gross so I don't think it even counts because I didn't enjoy it. I lost 11 pounds over the entire year and have been able to keep it off. I feel better and look a little better too. I haven't been as sick this year as I have in years past. I plan on eating ice cream occasionally and only drinking soda when we go out.


This year I'm making a new resolution. Be more active and lose more weight and continue to eat healthier. My goal is to fit into my wedding dress. I tried it on the other day with the help of the girls. I'm almost there, just in time for our 14 year anniversary! Alex and I also made it a goal to do push ups and sit ups every day. I'm going to add in running or going for a walk at least three times a week. Hopefully we can stick to this for the entire year and feel better about ourselves in the future. Happy New Year! Make 2012 the best year ever!!

2 comments:

The Kleyn Family said...

One thing I'll always remember 'bout Uncle Mike....sawing logs in the corner!! Glad you captured it :]…looks like your party was happening! Hope the new year is great for you & yours. Love your blog! I think (by the way) you earned the Funnest Mom of 2011 award!

Bev said...

If I was your Mother I would hurt you if you put a picture of me like that....she's a good sport! Yep, I agree with Emily.....Mike's usually asleep. Thanks again for the cute Christmas gift and the darling box it came in!!