Tuesday, January 3, 2012

So much for being helpful

What do you get when you combine a bowl..... Full of hummingbird food.........
And a bunch of bees?
We had a hummingbird feeder on our porch out front. The birds have all gone for the winter but the bees have been having a heyday with the leftover food. I didn't want the bees by the front door anymore so I took the feeder down. I thought, well bees need food in the winter too. I decided to pour the extra food we had in the fridge in a bowl and put the bowl by the side of the house. That way the bees still got their food and we didn't have to worry about them being so close to the front door. Good plan. I checked the bowl the next day and the bees were a big happy swarm.

A few days later I checked it again. So much for being helpful! The entire swarm was in the bowl, drowned, and dead! Duh, if they fall in, they can't get out. What was I thinking!! So if there's a honey shortage or your flowers don't bloom because of pollination problems, I apologize in advance. Bees scare me but not enough to kill them all. I feel really bad. I think I'll let them fend for themselves next time. On a side note..... When the feeder was up and full of food, somehow a bee squeezed itself through one of the holes a hummingbird would drink out of. Yeah he drowned too. Not entirely my fault. Bees should learn how to swim or not be so driven by the sent of sweet sugar.
Sorry bees!

2 comments:

Bev said...

Holy crap! Those bees are dumb with a capital D!! You shouldn't feel bad! Love the polka dot bowl and you too!!

Amy said...

Oh Roxy, you make me laugh :) Now I want to watch Bee Movie!