Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Coulda Woulda Shoulda


So my story begins on Monday. We left early from school and headed to Tucson for eye appointments. On our way home we were running really low on gas and stopped in Benson to fill up. The station that I stopped at didn't have a card reader at the pump. I COULDA went to another station, I SHOULDA gone right across the street to the Texaco and just swiped my card at the pump, had I known what a head ache that one little lapse in judgement would become..... I WOULDA gone some where else! I took my card in and told the guy I was going to fill the tank. A quick $17.00 later and we were back on the road. It had been a long day and we were all a little tired and ready to get home. We grabbed something quick to eat and made it back home just in time to get the girls a bath and get them in bed.

Now, fast forward to Tuesday evening. We get a phone call about 5 PM from our bank saying some fraudulent charges were being made using my debit card. I was confused. The woman from the bank asked if we had been online at 1 AM and if we had purchased anything. I said NO! I asked Clay, he said No. The bank woman said that's why she was calling and somebody was using my card. I had my card in my wallet so it wasn't lost or stolen. She went ahead and cancelled my card and told me to go to my branch in the morning. We checked our online banking and sure enough there were charges that we had not made.

So today I spent the day dealing with the bank paper work, getting new accounts, and making sure no other charges could be made. I then headed to Benson to file a police report. I'm pretty sure it was the guy at the gas station. That was the only time my card ever left my sight, and he had plenty of time to copy all my numbers while I filled up. The Benson officer that helped me had actually gone to High School with me. He was very polite and courteous. He then asked if I wanted to press charges if it turned out that it was this guy. I said YES!. It wasn't even the amount of money that had been charged. It was the fact that he was dishonest. We work very hard for our money and he should have to also. I bet he didn't even know I had friends and family in Benson. He probably thought I was just some out of town tourist fillin up. Well shame on him! I know the owner of the station and now know the name of the crook. I wonder how many snow birds he has taken advantage of, or how many other hard working families he has stolen from. Well, little does he know he messed with the wrong chick! He'll soon find out. This isn't even close to being over, but for now maybe many other people won't have to worry about this guy taking their money. What a hassle to change everything just because some guy thought it would be fun to take someones hard earned money! Ugghhh, what a jerk!

Morale to this story: Be careful where you fill up and always keep your card with you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, that's terrible! Sorry that happened to you.

Bev said...

What a creep! Hope you can put a stop to that guy! Sorry.......be careful!
Hey, whaddda wanna be? I want to be a cop and arrest that guy!