Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer Reading Program Week 6

I can't believe we only have 27 more days of summer freedom. This summer has gone by way too fast for me. The older and more fun the kids get the shorter the summers seem to get. We have a list a mile long still of things we wanted to do this summer. Guess it will have to wait until next year, or a ditch day from school!
Today at the Library, a man named Harry Walters came and taught us all about bees. I learned a few things I didn't know before. Harry is a long time bee keeper from Bisbee. Castle Rock Honey is the name of his company and he sells the honey his bees make.

He read the kids a short book. The book taught them many things about bees. Sydney's favorite part was being taught about the queen and everything she's about. Alex liked the part where Harry told us the girl bees kick the boy bees out in the winter because they don't work and they eat too much.
Harry also demonstrated a few of the tools he uses when taking care of his hives. The netted hat and the smoker were interesting. He also has a special tool for opening the hive, kinda like a crow bar.
He brought a piece of his hive that had honey on it. It doesn't look very tasty but the kids seemed to enjoy it. He told us how everything is pretty much recycled by the bees. We learned about the life cycle of a bee, how they turn a regular bee into a queen, and why they swarm. I also found it interesting that no human has ever been able to man make beeswax or Royal Jelly.
The kids got to taste some of the honey. Sydney didn't want to. Alex did and as soon as she put it in her mouth she started crying. She didn't like it at all. Ever since we've been home shes been complaining she doesn't feel good. Hopefully she's not allergic. Today was very interesting and informative. The kids were very excited to tell their Papa all about bees!

1 comment:

Gaylene said...

Hey you!! I love looking at your blog, it's so fun to the girls growing right up. I can't believe how much they are a pair just like you and Clay. Too cute!! I miss the 4th of July in Bisbee, I enjoyed it down there. I'm just going to have to come back someday!! We need to scrap anyway, I'm soooo far behind now it's not even funny. Someone's going to have to hide my camera or I'll never get caught up!! LOL