Monday, July 27, 2009

The Wall.....

The Wall, the wall, the wall!! Where do I start with this one? This whole wall replacement idea was a nightmare! I've said this bit before, but for those of you just tuning in, here is a replay of the remodel beginnings. We had a wall in the kitchen, didn't like it, decided to tear it down. In the process of tearing it down, we also tore down the adjoining bathroom wall and gutted the bathroom. Now, the bathroom is a whole different post in it self so I'm going to stick to the wall story.
We tore off the ugly wood paneling that had been been painted white. What were we left with? An even uglier yellow, crumbling wall.
Down it all came. In enters the maid to clean up the mess.
Then enters the handsome handyman to remodel the wall and make the maid happy!
Sheetrock gets hung, taped, sanded, and all looks great.
Hubby does an awesome job on texturing the wall, even though he's never textured before. I'm in love. The wall is done now I get to have some fun painting it! I love to paint.
On goes the paint. I did an awesome job taping the surrounding walls. Putting one coat on, letting that dry, then putting on a second coat. We decided we were going to attempt to do a glaze type finish. It looked cool in the book, we may be in over our heads!
Then..... UH OH! Wife gets in too big of a hurry (and doesn't research what she's doing). I don't put primer on the brand new wall before I paint! Here is what happened to my beautiful two coat paint job! UUGGGHHHHHH!
At least it didn't stick hardly at all so it was pretty easy to just peel the paint off the wall. My parents and husband will tell you a different story. After a week of peeling I was sick to death of this darn wall. Call my mom crying and frustrated (that happens when a girls kitchen is in disrepair), mom and dad drop everything and come to my aid! Yay! With every one's help we finally get ALL the paint off the wall, head to Home Depot, get primer, prime the wall, and wait. After letting the wall dry to make sure it was really going to stick, on goes the base coat.
After the paint dries it's time to try our hand at glazing. This picture does not do our little nightmare of a wall justice. Clay and I both are so in love with the final outcome! Now what to hang on it?? Hmmm, I'm thinking a couple Tuscan style paintings and maybe a vinyl saying. I'm so relieved to be in the home stretch of this project. Next to get checked off is the bathroom! Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Bev said...

Very nice! What a nightmare though. I think you need to hang a grouping of things, maybe even a big old world clock along with the grouping and a vinyl letter saying. Let me know when you're ready and I'll come help you do it now that all the work is done...hee, hee

Bev said...

Oh yea, your new backgroud is pretty stinkin' cute too and thanks for telling me to check Scrap-e-out....I love my new one!

James and Tammy Stanley said...

It looks really good. we are glad you both survived the project ;) You can come do our house next!!