Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The tale of the NOT so crooked eye!

Just a warning, a lot of these pictures are gross (in the ugly sense). I was terrified while at the surgery center. We arrived early because you know me, worry worry worry. I got all checked in and paid for everything. The lady at the front desk sent me back to my seat with a copy of the anesthesia policy to look over. I would sign the real copy going in. Yeah, it was scary. It talked about tubes going down my throat, heart failure, and countless other worries. I wanted to run out the door screaming but Clay was with me so I swallowed my fear and in I went. I cried, I was so scared. Clay hates it when I cry but this time I couldn't help it. They asked a million questions. When was your last period......UM maybe 3 or 4 years ago. WHY? they ask. Good question. I see you're diabetic right because you're taking Metformin........UM no it's for infertility. WHY? Good question. After all the questions I got undressed and hooked up to the I.V. This lady was the best I.V. person ever. I didn't feel a thing. About twenty minutes later they gave me a shot of Valium to relax me and off I went to the O.R. They asked me something but I can't remember what it was, then I was out. As I was waking up I noticed my bed sheets were a wreck, needing to worry about something I asked why. Shannon (the terrific nurse) said I woke up like a boxer and four people had to hold me down. News to me. My throat was sore so I guess I had a tube rammed down it. I was thirsty. There was a really annoying alarm that kept going off and every time it did someone would rush over and tell me to breathe. I wasn't very happy about that. Clay said I kept saying I wasn't a wuss and I wasn't going to cry or I would cry blood. I didn't cry. I did however talk a lot about our chickens and how worried I was that they might be hot according to Clay. Again, news to me!
I slept the majority of the way home. When I got home and took off my sunglasses I was a hot bloody mess. My mom helped me clean up, eat a cracker or two, take some Tylenol with Codeine and helped get into bed. The next day I was hurting. I have no idea what happened when I was under but I couldn't move, breathe, laugh, or cry! I hurt everywhere. My head, my neck, my throat, my chest, my stomach, my ribs. Funny, my eye hasn't really hurt at all. I was in pain but the girls were taken care of, Clay was fed, and my house was clean, and my laundry was done (Thank you Mom) so it wasn't really that bad.

The girls were happy and full. Nana made them awesome breakfasts, took them to the mall, to the bookstore, to the play place, for walks. They were so happy. Since she has been gone they've had no fun a all! One of my good friends from our ward came and got the girls yesterday to play, they were so excited and so ready to get out of the house. I slept the whole time they were gone. Then this amazing lady (Camilee Nelson)brings them home with two nights worth of dinners for the family. Yeah, now I cried. No blood. Then today she picks them up for the summer reading program at the library, brings them home to change their shoes, and as of right now they are still playing at her house. I hate asking for help but this is just what I needed. I'm sick of sitting at home as well, glad the girls are having fun!

I had a follow up appointment in Tucson on Monday morning. Everything looks great he said. I'm grounded to my house if it's windy and I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for three weeks. Vacuuming and raking are out of the question. I do nothing but sleep. I'm over it, I want to go out and play!

I check every day in the mirror to make sure my eye is still straight. A little bloody but so much better than it was. Compared to how I looked after surgery in fifth grade, this is as bloody as it gets. I'm so thankful for my wonderful doctor, my awesome family, and all the love and support that has been shown to me. The kids at school better watch out. Not only do I know their names but now I can look them straight in the eyes and demand an answer!!

I love my new straight eyeballs!

5 comments:

Garner Family said...

I am so glad you are better! If you need something this weekend let me know!

Bev said...

You look great!! Dang, I thought I wasn't going to be able to look at the picture, but not true....looks amazing!! just be sure to do what the dr. says.....you have really good nurses, so take advantage of it!! I need to plan something for the summer...........take care of yourself!!! ♥ you!!

The Kleyn Family said...

you lookin' good!! Sounds like you're on the mend~ yay!

Kelly said...

I'm so glad to hear everything went ok and you "love your new straight eyeballs!" :)

Anonymous said...

If you need any help, I will be happy to come... Thankful for your successfuly surgery and sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery. Debbie