Friday, April 29, 2011

Field trips = fun?

On Thursday I took the day off to go on a field trip with Sydney and her class. We went to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. I was in charge of four students. Each student in the group had a job. There was a monitor, a navigator, a secretary, and a photographer. In order for me to go on the field trip I had to go to an orientation meeting. This is what I like to call a working field trip. I had my doubts about how much fun we were going to have. Sydney (in the green shirt) was the secretary. That clip board was tons of fun for her to hold all day! She was an awesome secretary, she actually seemed to enjoy keeping track of everything. I never once heard her complain.
We saw lots of wildlife. The boys in my group loved the snakes. They had a Rosy Boa out that we could pet and learn about. I like the snakes that were behind the glass the best!

There was a man made little cave tunnel that you could walk through and climb through. The kids thought it was awesome. It was a tight squeeze for most of the adults, not to mention really dark in side. When it was lit up there were some really cool rock formations like you would see in real caves. The kids were amazed.

They each got to try on bat ears. They didn't keep them on very long. There were so many people, and the ears amplified the noise. It was really loud once you put on the ears. Sydney was a good sport and put them on so Mom could take a picture. As soon as I had my picture the ears came off.

My favorite were the Prairie Dogs. They were so cute. They played with each other, and ran around. The babies in the group looked like they hadn't been coming outside their den for very long. They were very tiny and so much fun to watch. I'm glad they don't live in my yard but they were a lot of fun to watch.

I bought the kids some ice cream while we took a little break from walking. Poor Ayom got a brain freeze immediately. It was hot out when we went to Tucson but it wasn't unbearable. There was a breeze and some shade and most of the display buildings were air conditioned. It was way better than I thought it would be.

The Otter was a crowd pleaser. He was a big showoff and ham for the camera. You could watch him swim from above and then if you walked down this tunnel you could watch him from the underwater level. We spent a lot of time watching this funny guy.

Sydney again doing something she didn't really want to just to please mom and her camera. My kids hated me and my camera by the end of this field trip! They were all good sports though.

Frogs. Ewwww is what the boys said but the girls thought they were cool. Weird huh?

This lizard was actually alive but had just gotten fed and had his heat light turned on so he was snoozing away.

Sydney had a great time. By the time we finished lunch and were back on the bus we were beat. It was the perfect day to be in Tucson in the heat. There was a breeze and the heat wasn't at record temperatures ..... Yet!

And then comes the long bus ride home. We got five miles out from the Museum and the bus broke down! I snapped this picture of Sydney and her friend Madison on our way back from going potty in the bushes. I think we waited by the road for almost two hours. Thankfully TUSD sent one of their buses to take us home. The store Family Dollar let us borrow the umbrellas. Once we were on our way we dropped them back off. They saved us!

After a long hot break by the side of the road we were finally back on the bus and back on the road heading home. Sydney has another field trip this Thursday, to Tucson, to the zoo, with her buddy who is in kindergarten. Yeah, I think I'll stay home and work thanks. Good luck Sydney, call me when you need a ride home. Hopefully it will be before 8 o'clock unlike last time!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Roxanne! I need to get back into the blogging scene! I love reading your blog. You are such a good mommy and your family is so cute! Anytime you are up here we should get together and Amie too! And you look great by the way, I love your hair and glasses.

Bev said...

You're the best MOM!!