Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chiricahua National Monument

On Monday we went with some friends to the Chiricahua National Monument. It was the first official day of spring break (not to mention Clay's day off and he was being woken up at 6AM), and we were very excited to go hiking. It took about an hour and a half to get there from our house. When we got there the kids went exploring with Clay down by the creek. They had lots of fun throwing rocks in the water. I stayed at camp and visited with our friends. I'd like to say I helped with the cooking of breakfast, but I didn't! Breakfast is served. We had biscuits and gravy, eggs, and hashbrowns! We even had our choice of apple juice, milk or water to drink! Now that's breakfast!! I didn't have to cook or do dishes. Spring break rocks!
After we got all the breakfast put away we went to the visitors center. This tree was right out front in the parking lot. It was huge! We watched a very informative 8 minute long movie and browsed around the gift shop. They had some really cool things to buy. The favorite thing for the kids were these birds that you squeezed and you heard the sound they made. They had tons of different birds. Turkey's, owls, and blue birds just to name a few.
Then it was time to lace up our hikin boots and hit the trail. The kids (Alex and Kade) lead the way and set a very fast pace (again). There was so much to see. The only bad thing about the whole entire day was....... THE WIND! It was so windy. In the morning it was freezing, by the afternoon it had warmed up but the wind made it feel chilly. Not one of the kids ever complained!
Sydney and Alex had a great time. I want to go back, it was so much fun. You should have seen all the kids climbing the rocks along the trail. Man, were they having a good time!
Some of the rocks were just MIND BLOWING. Huge and balancing like nothing I've ever seen. It reminded me of Dragoon and the rocks we use to climb out there.
The scenery was so beautiful. There was still snow on the ground in some spots. It was amazing all the wildlife we saw, the birds, the plants. We are planning a return trip when the weather is a little warmer!
The whole group (10 seconds!). We went with our friends the Nelson's. This family is AMAZING. They took their five kids (3 month old included) out for a hike. Not once did I hear whining, complaining, or grumbling from the adults or kids! WOW, that's all I can say.
Our family (we rock), standing by a really big rock (it rocks)! Like I said MIND BLOWING. These rocks were HUGE. Hopefully you get the hint. Well worth the trip out there to see some of these amazing rocks!
I liked this picture. Clay is an awesome photographer. I had more fun than I thought I would. It was really hard to leave (and to convince the kids it was time to go) at the end of the day.
We stopped at the Faraway Ranch(I think that was the name) for lunch. We were in charge of lunch. Nothing like the Nelson's breakfast but it was still good. We had sub sandwiches, potato salad, granola bars, chips, and lots more. By the time we stopped for lunch we were a little behind schedule. The Nelson's had to hit the road for an appointment. We stayed behind and explored the ranch house, the barns, and the ranch. It was a lot of sight seeing. They weren't giving tours that day but we enjoyed being able to walk around and see all the sights. We couldn't go in any of the buildings but we could look in windows. There were some really cool things to see. Very old things.
What a great start to our spring break! We have many more adventures planned so stay tuned. If anyone is now planning to go to the Chiricahua's to go hiking (which we highly recommend), let us know. We'll go with you anytime!

3 comments:

Bev said...

You guys have more fun our hiking and getting dirty!! I know you especially love it when dad can go with you....you all look sooo happy!!

Amie said...

Roxy! yeah, I have my new computer! It was so fun to catch up on all the Dozier happenings! I loved hiking these mountains with my family too! Keep doing it with your girls...I have so many great memories of it! I enjoyed all of your pictures. You all look wonderful!!! Take care!

Sarah said...

Sounds like you guys had fun...you should have stopped by. I know the Nelsons as well. Good'ol Jason and Cami. You should ask her to tell you a story about me one day.