Tuesday, March 15, 2011

B Mountain Hike!

Yesterday, to kick off our spring break, we hiked up to the B.I of course got winded going up. I'm not the best at hiking but I enjoy doing it with my family. Clay said this would be classified as another grandma hike. At one point during the hike, he was running up the mountain! He was even carrying my backpack in addition to his own! This grandma needs to get in better shape!
We made it to the top. The views made all the huffing and puffing worth it. We saw parts of Bisbee we never knew existed. I didn't know Old Bisbee was that big. The roads in Old Bisbee are so narrow, I've never really been exploring. I've pretty much stuck to the main road every time I've gone there. It was quite a sight!
If you look closely behind the girls you'll see the mine in the background. We saw so much of the Lavendar Pit mine it was amazing. The view of the pit from the highway or up close from behind the fence is nothing compared to what you see from B mountain. The girls spent time up on top looking for acorns. We sat and enjoyed the views for close to an hour. The girls picked up acorns while Clay and I visited, explored, and just sat enjoying nature.
The girls started collecting the little acorns. We had an empty water bottle, we told them whatever fit in the bottle they could bring home. When we hiked D hill Sydney brought home a boulder for a souvenir, so we limited their treasures this time! They did not want to leave once they were on a roll picking up little acorns and filling their water bottle. I think they would have filled the entire bottle if we had let them stay that long.
Getting down to the B was a little tricky. We bushwhacked through some bushes and had to hike down a little bit to get to it. It was pretty steep. I fell, we had come that far so by golly I was going to see the dang B! I cut my hand and sat on a really sharp really hard rock. I have a nice strawberry on my bum. It hurts. It was worth it.
Clay is an amazing hiker. He is so patient with his slow wife, teaches the girls a lot, and we all have such a great time doing things with daddy. It was a perfect day to hike and spend time as a family. There was a breeze when we needed one, it wasn't too hot or too cold so we were really able to enjoy nature. Clay pointed out several deer tracks to the girls, he helped us down the steep and scary parts. I'm thankful we have a husband and daddy that likes to take us on outings. This is something I would never do with the girls on my own. It's an added bonus that Clay hikes every day and he has a lot of experience when it comes to hiking.
The view of the Lavendar Pit mine was amazing. You could see the whole thing, from top to bottom, something I had never seen before! I loved being up that high and seeing everything from a different vantage point.
In the above picture, you'll notice a little pull off spot from the highway. Many people stop here and take pictures of the old buildings in Old Bisbee. It's a nice little spot to see Bisbee from. This is where we decided to have lunch once we hiked down the mountain.
We found a nice shady spot, spread out our blanket, and ate lunch with a bird. We played eye spy with Old Bisbee directly in front of us. There was so much to see. We played the game all through lunch and still had tons of new things to spy when we were leaving.
What an amazing hike. I would love to hike it again just for the views! I may not be the best or the fastest hiker but it is something I really do enjoy doing with my family. I hope the kids will always remember the fun things we have done as a family. I think they'll remember the acorns the most. Maybe they'll remember my hurt bum the most since I've done nothing but complain about it hurting since we got home. As long as they remember something. Spring Break 2011 is off to a great start!

1 comment:

Bev said...

What an amazing little family you have. You always have so much fun.
PS~Clay ROCKS!!