Monday, September 6, 2010

The first day of school!

Sadly, the school year has started (almost a month ago, this is a little late!). The girls were excited to get to see their friends again. There were many changes made over the summer so I was very anxious and a little scared to go back. Hopefully all the changes will be for the best for the kids. Sydney is in fourth grade this year. She has an excellent teacher and is adjusting well. She has quite a few of her good friends in her class. Her one very best friend is in another class. She was very sad that this little girl was not in her class, but a couple Friday play dates made up for missed playtime. She actually has a book for every subject this year. That can make for a heavy backpack full of homework if she doesn't get her work done in class. She has done very well so far. Her favorite thing about school so far this year is seeing her friends (and going to the Library and seeing mom, of course!). Every Thursday they have a little ceremony with the fourth and fifth graders out at the flag pole. They recognize a few kids from each class. These kids have turned in all their work, been nice to each other, helped out around campus, and have done other things. Sydney has been recognized twice already. What a good kid. Have a great year Sydney! (See her jammed finger in this picture? I was at work the week before the kids started so Nana had to watch the kids. They decided to put up the water slide. She jammed her middle finger going down the slide and at the same time she hyper extended her two fingers on either side of her middle finger as well as her middle finger. Talk about HURT! Her fingers turned black and blue just in time for school to start.)
Alex is in second grade this year. She has the same wonderful teacher Sydney had for second grade. She finds the homework a little boring. Their supposed to do one page a day of homework, and then turn the packet in on Thursday. She's always done by Monday or Tuesday and wanting more. She's one smart cookie our little Alex. She loves school, she also has quite a few friends in her class. When she learned her BFF Yasmine was going to be in her class she was so excited. She danced around and was giddy for days. Both kids were up early the first day of school, mom was too but not by choice!
The one thing Alex didn't like was having the name tag that said ALEXANDRA on her desk. We solved that pretty quick. She unpacked her supplies and eagerly awaited the ringing of the bell. Alex's favorite thing about school so far is recess and playing with her friends (and of course Library!) I was a little sad this year compared to most years. My babies are growing up, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't know of any other parents that like spending time with their kids as much as we do. We enjoy family time. We are not prepared for that day when we become less important than their friends, or boys, or driving, or the mall. I wish they could stay little forever. They are however, growing up to be the best little girls we know. How did we get so lucky?
Sydney came in to say goodbye too. As we were walking back to Sydney's class she says "Mom, that almost made me cry". I looked down at her with tears in my eyes and said "Yeah me too". Have a great year Alex!
I was so nervous the first couple of weeks of school. I was not only going to be the Librarian at the Primary school, but at the Jr. High as well. I also found out I was in charge of teaching a class the last period of Jr. High and I was in charge of the lunch detention kids at Jr. High. I felt very unprepared and a little under qualified. Now that I have a grasp on things, I'm really REALLY enjoying my job. Jr. High can be a little difficult with all those raging hormones, but once the kids get to know and respect you, they can be a fun bunch of kids. I am truly blessed to have a job that I get to see my own kids on a daily basis, but also a job that I enjoy. The one thing I miss the most is Ms. Richardi. She always said Hi and good morning, left little notes in my box. She was awesome. I hope she's having fun in New Jersey, say Hi to Buddy for us! We miss you ANNE~

2 comments:

Bev said...

You are the best MOM, ever!!!

Anonymous said...

It is so nice that your girls are nearby and that they have such a close relationship! Debbie