Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer Quilting Fun!

My poor poor family. I have been quilting like crazy and have left them to fend for themselves. In between swimming and vacationing I have done little else than quilt. Here are a couple of my recently finished quilts. I did post these on Facebook but for those of you who don't use that application here you go! I LOVE this polka Dot quilt! For the time being, this quilt is my new all time favorite!
I machine quilted the x's (a major pain on my little machine but we both survived).
Thanks to Pat French, I get how to bind now! I need a ton more practise but I'm getting better with every quilt. I haven't attempted to hand quilt the binding on (which I probably should since that's how it is supposed to be done) so the binding jobs haven't been that great. I'm just so proud I can actually finish the quilts on my own.
Alex enjoying the new quilt Mommy made. If I had to quit quilting tomorrow I could and be happy about it. I LOVE this quilt, and I made it! The girls enjoy watching and helping. I'll make quilters out of them yet!
Ever since my Aunt Judy helped me out by finishing a quilt I started three years ago, I have wanted to finish one on my own. I love the quilt Aunt Judy did. It is a beautiful thing to look at, and snuggle up with, and sped out on the bed and admire! I'll have to post pictures of it. It's amazing! This quilt (below) I started at the same time as the one Judy finished. So.... years ago. I finally got so sick of walking past a half done quilt hanging on a hanger, that I just had to finish it.
I finished it!! It took four years but hey it's done! The material is a little ummm, ugly? Together it looks OK I guess. The kids had a blast handing me strips and watching me sew them all together to make this wonderful quilt.
Thanks again to Pat French for taking the time to walk me through binding. I'll get it one of these days! I have two more quilts cut and ready to sew, I just have to find some time now.

I have to say, I have accomplished more this summer than any other summer I can remember. I went through every room in the house and de-cluttered everything. The kids went through clothes and toys and junk. Our house feels so roomy and clean now! We're having a huge garage sale on the 23rd and with the profits we're going to CALI on the 26Th. Woooohoooo for a clean house and a fun vacation!! Not to mention the quilts I have finished, the trips we've been on, all the time we've spent together as a family. WHY, oh why does summer ever have to end. The school bell ringing on August 9th is getting louder and louder every day. Whether we like it or not, school will be starting soon. For those of you who haven't heard. I will no longer be working in the Special Education department. I got my contract and this year I will be librarian for both Greenway and Lowell school. WOOOHOOOOOO! Now that I can get out of the pool for!

4 comments:

Salvage Chic Lady said...

Your ambition inspires me, I have no motivation in the heat! You have some of your Grandma Holyoak in you with all your quilts! Good job, they look great.

James and Tammy Stanley said...

that is awesome you got the job congrats! the quilts look amazing too. talent

Jill said...

I love the circle quilt!! SO CUTE!!

Linda said...

Wish you could teach me how to make quilts.... you are so talented Roxy! They look great.