Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sportsmanship and kickball



We had planned to leave town on Friday to go spend time with James and Tammy before they left for Montana. They were still busy packing and it had been a long week for us, at the last minute we decided to stay home and leave on Saturday. Then I remembered that there was a Primary activity that morning. I asked the girls if they would like to go and excitedly they said "yes please, mom". How can you say No to that! we went and the activity was kick ball. My kids had never played and I hadn't played in years. We listened as the rules were explained, and we had a brief lesson in sportsmanship. The kids were divided and teams were made and we were off. It was the Hotdogs (mine and Alex's team) against the Pizza (Sydney's team). We had a Great time. I got Sydney out twice! My kids were real troopers. Alex forgot to run to first a few times, Sydney's team was outfield and the ball went to her a few times and she kicked it rather than caught it. It was so funny. You can tell by my kids sports skills I was meant to have girls. They know how to paint their nails, and do laundry and dishes, but to play baseball or play with trucks........forget it! After the Hotdogs won we had sandwiches and juice outside. Sydney said the juice tasted like medicine and Alex loved the sandwiches. On the way home we had a little lesson on how to keep tastes of things we don't like to ourselves. I didn't really enjoy the juice either. Once we got home the girls were telling Clay all about the game and sportsmanship. Sydney said " Mom got me twice and I didn't even cry". Alex was very excited our team had won and was telling Clay about it, she finished and turned to Sydney and said "Sorry my team won you". Talk about a great lesson to teach a child. I'm so glad we went. The morning had been so hectic and if the girls had said they didn't want to go I would have gladly stayed home. I'm so thankful they wanted to go. They still talk about the game and ask me all the time what the new word they learned about was again (sportsmanship). The girls were on separate teams but still had so much fun. They now play kickball with their littlest pet shop characters. Even in the pretend games there is no fighting or crying. Thanks to that little church activity and the sportsmanship of everyone that went, my kids have learned a valuable and unforgettable lesson. Thanks Sister Mauzy!!

2 comments:

Amie said...

What a cute story Roxanne! I am afraid to report that we probably would have had crying at our house over the game! My boys have learned to be competitive from their daddy! I love that their little pet shop thing s play kickball now. How cute. I don't know about that sort of stuff, it was fun to read about! :)

Linda said...

Your such a good Mom Roxanne! Loved reading your kickball story... and I love when kids have those little life lessons... it's fun to watch them learn and the cute stuff they say.