Friday, May 16, 2008

Last Day of PreSchool!!

The last day of preschool for Alex and her friends was so fun!
Alex liked going to PreSchool but was very upset on days when she wouldn't get any homework. The PreSchool in Bisbee is a special needs Preschool, so not the type that would send homework. I usually copied Sydney's homework and they would do their "homework" together. Mr. Sullivan (Alex's Teacher) got a little tired of her asking every day if there was homework. By the end of the year he was sending her home with homework.
Sydney spent two years in the preschool for her speech. She has come such a long way. She speaks mostly in complete sentences now and is at grade level in reading. It was almost an over night change with her, one day it just clicked and she's never looked back.
Alex also spent two years in the preschool. She attended because of her lazy eye. Not really a handicap but hey she needed the socialization she got in preschool. They did work on her cutting skills and her hand eye cordination. She had eye surgery a bit ago and her eye seems to be doing much better. It is still not completely straight but much less noticeable. She was such a trooper going into the operating room. Alex still has to wear a patch every day and her glasses but hopefully it won't be for the rest of her life. She is so ready for Kindergarten she can't stand. She was very bored in PreSchool alot of the time. If I hadn't have had a job working in her classroom she probably would have stayed home this year. Her poor Kindergarten teacher, they're going to have one smart cookie on their hands!


This is Christopher. He's the little Autistic boy in Alex's class that I worked with. What a special little spirit. It was always trial and error on what to do with him. You never knew what he would like or what would really upset him and start a crying spell. When he first came to the preschool he walked on all fours, cried alt, didn't say any words, a didn't want to be held. Not to toot my own horn but he has grown SOOOOO much in the little bit of time I have known him. He now says Mama, Dada, up and more. It is so rewarding to see him looking around for me and when hes sees me, to see his face light up! Wow what a feeling. Next year we will have Christopher and his little brother Brendon, who also is Autistic but not to the extent of Christopher. I absolutely love my job and the time I get to spend with some of god's most choice spirits. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's so cool, your story about working with an autistic child - how neat! Looks like you've got the hang of this whole blog thing - looks good!!! I'm so glad you're bloggin' now!! Now I get to see in to your world a bit.

Amie said...

I am so happy that you enjoy your job. You do a job that not very many people can, I can see how you would be wonderful at it. I am sad for Alex's last day of preschool too! It's going to be interesting keeping him busy every day! :)
P.S. LOVE the blog look!