Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sydney's last Day of First Grade!

This is Sydney's teacher Mrs. Pizano. What a special and talented teacher she is. I wish we had more teachers like her. When Sydney went to First Grade she was way below grade level in everything. She knew her Alphabet and how to right most letters. She knew how to write her name but that was about it. Sydney was still in speech and I worried she would be left behind. Mrs. Pizano worked very hard on getting Sydney to read. She sent special work home for Sydney to do and she always took the time to give me tips on how I could help Sydney at home. Sydney loved going to school, and I think it had a lot to do with her teacher. Sydney is now officially going to Second Grade!

Out of all the pictures of the last day of school, this one sticks out the most. I was looking back at other years and the girls are always in skirts or shorts, have a little tan starting, and the sun is shining. Not this year. This year we had a thunder storm the night before, terrible winds (up to 60 mph), and it was cold. The winter clothes had already been packed away in the attic, the heater had been unhooked and we were planning on putting up the pool soon. Luckily Tammy had just given us some hand me downs. I dug into the bag and yippee we had pants and long sleeved shirts just Sydney's size. Good thing I hadn't gotten around to putting the coats away yet. We didn't get many pictures of Sydney with her friends outside but it still turned out to be a pretty fun last day of school.
Sydney went to preschool with this boy. His name is Ayom and he lives in a huge house right up the street from the school. She was also in speech with him. When she was in preschool, she was terrified of him. He was so dark, and his eyes were so white, and he was so tall. She would just start crying when he was dropped off. We went to his birthday party and he gave her a special gift for being the only girl there. Since that day they have been great friends.Sydney often stands up for Ayom. He is still very tall, still in speech, and is made fun of a lot. What a great example children can be to the world on how we should treat others. Sydney is very quiet and very timid, but make fun of someone or treat them badly......watch out!
Sydney received a Certificate of Improvement from her teacher and the Principal. Sydney no longer needs speech. She can read at or above grade level. She can count as high as you want her to. She is well on her way to being a great student. We worked tirelessly on reading and writing this year. She was always a real trooper with her homework and is becoming more and more like her perfectionist father every day. She loves math, I catch her in the bathroom with her dry erase board doing math when shes on the pot. Like I said, she's like her dad! :) I remember the day her reading clicked. We were on our way to school ( I took the kids early every day so they could play on the playground a little longer and get all their wiggles out), and Sydney yelled Mom Stop. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. She keeps saying go back, go back. I pull over, ready to scold her for yelling in the car. Mom please go back she says. I have no idea what is going on. I turn the truck around. We start heading back home, I have no idea how far back we need to go. After a minute or so she says stop and go back. I turn the truck around and pull over. I'm totally lost as to what her little brain is thinking. Then she says, Hello, I can help you. I'm just looking at her like what is going on. She says it again. Hello, I can help you. She smiles. I look at her. Then she says Mom I did it. OK by now I'm really confused thinking my child is crazy or something. The she points and says Hello, I can help you. She pointing to a cable one billboard and she has just read the words on it. I look at the billboard, I look at her. She's just smiling. So proud of herself. Well, the floodgates open, I'm bawling. Sydney is laughing, I'm crying and Alex doesn't know wether to laugh or cry. That is the day Sydney discovered she could read. We did have a little lesson on yelling in the car, but there was no scolding!!

No comments: